Saturday, July 26, 2008

Haida Hair Girl

Haida Hair GirlI just finished up my drawing for the Get The Lead Out show over at Black Maria Gallery that opens next Saturday, August 2nd. I decided to stick with my usual "totem" art theme, but I wanted to mix it up a bit. So I came up with the idea of rendering a girl's face and having a totem pattern layered on her hair. Since I'm not very good at reproducing a realistic human face/form without reference, I based my piece on a photo of a friend of mine. I did take a few stylistic liberties though, really minimizing the facial detail and stylizing the hair a little bit to work with my design. Anyway, I'm very happy with the way the piece turned out. And as usual, picking up this medium again after so many years has got me excited to keep it up and do some more drawings. But alas there are too many other priorities I need to attend to right now...