Sunday, March 23, 2008
After completing the green flocked Spade-Skull mini for St. Patrick's Day, I've been wanting to test out a slightly different flocking technique. So along came these guys. What I decided to try different with these guys was to compact the flocking onto the figure while the glue was still slightly tacky. It definitely gives it a slightly less furry look and has a more velvety appearance. But I don't know if it's just that the black flocking shows a more imperfections or what, but I can see a lot more spots on these where the flocking looks thin as opposed to other flocked customs I've made. I did one touch-up session earlier this evening on them, I might have to hit them again this week. With that, it's back to big stuff. I've got one really big project almost wrapped up, and them I'm going full-force on creating a few more pieces for SDCC and getting back to commissions. No rest for me...
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
I'd been wanting to work on some green customs for a while now, so I figured why not try to get a few done for the St. Patty's Day? Here's what I just finished right on time from left to right: The Green/White Totem Dunny, The White Pearl/Green Lucky Spade-Skull Dunny, and the Green Fuzzy Spade-Skull Dunny- all 3-inchers. I was also trying to revive an old NADE custom I was working on last year for the now defunct Rocketpop show, but I was having some issues getting it back together tonight, so back into it's box it went. Too bad, since it's all white/green and has a few shamrocks here and there just like the mini Lucky Dunny. Oh well, maybe I can revive it again and have it ready for next year. Anyway, I've also got a few minis coming for Easter (stay tuned), but once that's done I'm all about commissions (and some special SDCC projects- shhh...)
Monday, March 17, 2008
No, I wasn't driving down the street and saw this- this was sent to me by Kidrobot Discussion Board member yesterday. His girlfriend really liked the stickers I sent them, so she put it on her car- cool! I figure most of the stickers I send out with my packages usually end up in places they aren't supposed to, so this was a nice change to see :)
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Here's a new Mad*L commission I just finished up this weekend. Since the client wanted a "mono" color scheme, the Sharpie poster paint markers were given a rest and out came the liquid acrylics and brushes. This one took longer than usual since I don't have as much practice with brushes when it comes to my precision totem work. Anyway, once I got into it I was really enjoying it. While my next big totem probably will just have an acrylic base coat with Sharpie paint marker detail, I think I'm going to slowly make a transition away from the paint markers for large customs.
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Here's a little 3-inch Dunny custom I whipped up the other day. This little guy was keeping me sane while I'm working on a few commissions and finishing up some show pieces. Lately I've been infatuated with black/gold color schemes- more proof of this soon...